Friday, 5 August 2011

Seahouses:4/8/11

I visited Seahouses yesterday and the weather was terrible, well for  photography anyway was terrible, I walked around the harbour from about 08:45 to about 11:00 and I didn't bother to get any landscape pictures of the harbour as the sky was one big patch of white with very little detail. so I stuck to taking photographs of the birds in the harbour. The first thing i saw when i started walking around was about 3 or 4 female Eider duck's. I then moved around to the beach and saw I single Redshank and 2 Oystercatchers and several different type's of gull. After moving on a little, more eider duck's came into view, resting next to them a female Goosander. After seeing this I stood for a little time and this paid off as i got a very good view of a curlew. I then moved around and stood quite far out on some rocks very close to a group of common, arctic and 1 or 2 sandwich tern, after looking at the terns for while I caught out of the corner of my eye a Dunlin and manage to get very close to it without it flying off. After this I walked around to the cliffs and got excellent views of the kittiwakes and a few juveniles with there parents still.
Female Eider duck

Eider with Fish

Black headed gull?

Curlew

Curlew

Curlew in flight

Juvenile arctic or common tern?

Dunlin

Dunlin

Dunlin

Kittiwake 

Big yawn

Juvenile's (right) adult (left)

Kittiwake 

2 comments:

  1. Your last 3 posts haven't come up on my blog list so i'm catching up with them. Some nice images.
    I see you went to the Farnes the other day, you should try and get a bit earlier in the year next spring/ summer when ALL the breeding birds are present. It's a marvellous experience, especially getting bombarded by the Arctic Terns. Here is the link for the Farnes blog......it's near the end of the breeding season there but they are still busy but it will be handy for next year so you can see whats happening there and when and you can plan any visits better.
    http://farnephoto.blogspot.com/
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, it was a bit of a spur of the moment trip as i was up there anyway, did plan to go earlier but sadly didn't, hope to next year though. I'm a bit confused by the blog not showing i had noticed it and i think it's still showing a post of St marys from last week. unsure why it has done this because none of my setting's have changed. bit of an annoying mystery to as i'm losing quite a few views. just hope it correct's itself soon.
    thanks again
    sam

    ReplyDelete