Tuesday, 29 November 2011

A lesson learnt at seahouses!

I arrived at seahouses at about 8am and headed straight for the beach that lies within the harbour. The tide was very nearly at its lowest and waders soon caught my eye, Turnstone, Ringed Plover and Oystercatcher some of the first i saw. I kept looking with rocks getting slippier and slippier and came across a single Heron, Curlew, Cormorant and more Oystercatcher, sitting in the harbor as usual were the Eiders, and Redshank were also present,  I stood and looked out towards the Farnes and next to rocks i spotted what i thought was a scooter, but i am still unsure so any help would be great. Anyway i thought i would have another look around the beach and i arrived and the Turnstones were the only bird about, so as i walked along the firm sand it all looked the same until i stood into an area which my foot got very stuck in, as i tried to pull my leg out I accidently put my other foot in! Causing me to then lose balance and fall over and i basically got very very muddy, I'm just glad no one seen me do this! I walked again back to the car park and stood waiting for my lift  I took my coat off and laid it above my camera on the harbour defenses, a sudden gust of wind took my coat over and onto the rocks below and i could not reach it, to cut a long story short i managed to get my coat after falling over about 5 times and getting even more muddy!
Over birds: Thrush, House sparrow, Pied Wagtail, Barnacle Geese, and a very large flock of birds flying inland

Turnstones

Eiders

Barnacle geese

Grey Heron

Grey Heron

Ringed Plover

Ringed Plover

House Sparrow

Any help ? I was thinking Sandpipers but don't think they are

House Sparrow

Scooter of some description or a Dark Eider? 

Song Thrush

3 comments:

  1. Short wander up the road to Stag rocks, and you should see plenty of Scoter, maybe even a Velvet Scoter.
    Ah the perils of a wildlife photographer, good for your memoirs later on,ished i had seen you, now that would have been a competition entry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bet the washing machine has been working overtime in your house! Hope you didn't have to be put in it.:-)
    Very nice images. The waders are Dunlin me thinks. Cheers Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've all been there Sam, rolling around on the ground.
    I've slipped on the rocks, been tripped by brambles many times and just plain ended up on my bum. But every time, despite my injuries or condition, all i've thought was "IS ME CAMERA O.K."

    ReplyDelete