Friday, 23 December 2011

Sparrowhawk and kestrel

I spent a bit of time on Wednesday watching the feeders in the back garden to see what came in, I expected Starlings, Sparrows, Dunnocks and maybe a Robin, occasionally there are other birds that come in but not very often. After the Starlings and the Sparrows departed it all went quiet and I was about to put my camera away when I saw bird on the roof of the house opposite and it looked odd, I then put my camera to my eye and found it to be a male Sparrowhawk, I quickly began taking photos and then after turning around it shot up into the air and over the house, I've heard of it coming near the garden but never actually seen it, so I was happy in seeing it even if the sparrows/starlings probably weren't!
 The next day I spent in Northumberland, I had hoped there would be a little owl and on looking there wasn't but I kept on walking and as I crossed a field I saw a Kestrel fly past me, I watched it fly over a wood and it then started hunting. I quickly got into range for a photo as it went from one end of the wood to the other, every so often stopping and hunting, I went into the wood and waited and was very happy with the 2 or 3 good sightings I got nearly right over me, It then set off and sat in a tree and I moved off trying not to disturb it.
I had a quick look at Killingworth lake and the lighting was not very good so I took few pictures but I did find the four Goldeneye (2 male,2 female) and to my surprise 5 lapwing.
Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas :)











2 comments:

  1. It's been a pleasure following your blog Samuel.Looking forward to some EVEN BETTER images in the New Year.
    So no pressure there !!
    All the best.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late reply, thank you its been a pleasure following yours too, I look forward to trying to get better pictures in the new year,
    Thanks again
    Sam :)

    ReplyDelete