Friday, 27 April 2012

A "Retern" visit to Tynemouth Pier

On Tuesday Brian and myself decided to make a return trip to Tynemouth Pier, On arrival the first thing to greet us was a Kestrel at top of a tree next to the Priory, moving around we found large numbers of Fulmar and Kittiewake and 3 Purple sandpipers, after a bit of careful walking around we managed to get close to the Purple sandpipers defiantly the closest I've ever been to nearly any wader. I didn't manage to find the Rock pipit I was after but theres always a next time! Moving around again I began to do some Sound recording and were greeted by a few Sandwich terns and they began to fish very close to us, as we stood watching the gulls from above a rat sped out in front of us and past the Feral pigeons into its hole. We then walked to Northumberland park and saw a Great spotted woodpecker feeding on the ground, a few Hybrid mallards were on the pond, I then looked up to see a Goldcrest breifly in the tree above before flying over us, no Nuthatch to be seen and no grey squirrels but a chiffchaff was above us in a tree. I've also produced a Video with the sounds of the sea to show the variety of the Birds of coastline near the Pier.

Sorry for the bad quality of the video, I will work
on correcting it, this is due to the quality the 
internet will play it at (No excuses there!)

Kestrel
Falco tinnunculus or kestrel

Purple Sandpiper

Purple Sandpiper

Purple Sandpipers

Fulmar

"The Flight of the Fulmar"

Fulmar

Tynemouth Pier

Kittiewake

Fulmar

Kittiewake

Fulmar

Sandwich tern

Herring Gull

Sandwich tern

Juvenile Gull (Herring I think)

Lord Collingwood

Chiffchaff

A lonely flower

Bluebells 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the video Sam and can tell you put the work in.:-) Goes without saying that the photos are usual high standard. I might approach it one day! :-) Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shots and I especially like the ones of the Fulmar. I couldn't get the video to play, but will try again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete